Monday, September 21, 2015

Welcome

Hello and welcome to my first blog and post!

I'm not quite sure what to write so I am going to start writing about my hobbies.
When my son was born I couldn't find the right birth announcement's I wanted to send. I ended up using a generic one I bought online through a big box retailers.
I started to think about the process of creating my own. I had a little knowledge of graphics and then decided to start 'trying' to create my own invitations using the programs I had on my system. Mostly paint etc. I ended up taking a Photoshop class (2 actually) and really started to learn this graphics process.

Once I started making my sons party invitations, holiday cards, etc people starting asking me to create their child's invitations etc. I normally just designed the image and let them print the design at their local 1 hour photo shop on 4x6 prints. The problem was that they couldn't find envelopes that fit. Now if I supply something I want people to have no issue. That is when I discovered Silhouette Portrait. I could not only design the invitation, but could print it out in the size I wanted (to fit envelopes I had!!).

That worked for a while. I later found so many cool and neat things you could do with the Silhouette, like the different cards and 3d projects you could make. That started me on the whole SVG designing process. People loved the 3d projects I made for the kids or what I brought adults. Things like purses holding gift cards, holiday themed projects I brought for potlucks etc.

I opened an Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeZinesbyEM where I attempted to sell just a very few of the designs I created. The ones I posted are the ones I felt were the most easily cut and assembled. I do have more intricate designs, but I want the process to be as easy as possible.


That venture hasn't been too successful as opening it 4 months ago.
So that brings me up to now. A blog? Me? I don't know anything about that. Can it hurt? How much time does it take? What knowledge do I need to have? Well I can tell you, I click on a few links and within a few minutes I am typing my first blog post. Although I can't be sure what the web address is, lol,

As I am looking at this form, there are a lot of options for adding links, photos etc. I don't know if I need to any any photos. I know on the blogs I follow there are lots of photos. I haven't really tracked a blog back to the beginning to see what the first post was like. (In retrospect that might have been a good idea!)

I do have a Facebook profile. If you are interested in following please check it out! I love feedback from people with constructive feedback. (There is a difference) https://www.facebook.com/dezinesbyem

Well I have listed how I got started and where people can see my stuff and Facebook, I guess the only thing left is an email. DeZinesbyEM@gmail.com

I would love comments if there is a space for that. Like I said I am not even sure how this works.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Mike
DeZinesbyEM
DezinesbyEM@gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment